Finding Local Pack Keyword Opportunities
Whether you love it or hate it, keyword research is the cornerstone of any successful local SEO campaign. After all, if your business does not rank for the right keywords, the right clients will not be able to find you online.
The law firms that focus on strong keyword research before starting a serious SEO campaign can track progress towards their business goals. Knowing your targets also allows you to develop and track how effective a strategy is.
Today, we’re going to look at an easy way to identify local pack keyword opportunities using SEMRush.
*Please note that SEMRush is a paid SEO tool that requires a subscription.
First, Let’s Look at Local Pack Keywords
In today’s lesson, we will specifically be looking at local pack opportunities.
Any of the keywords we find can also use be used in an organic or paid SEO strategy. However, this tutorial specifically focuses on the specific keywords that display local pack results.
What do I mean by local pack? Take a look below:
You may have heard this called the 3 pack (but now there are paid ads sometimes), but did you know that not all keywords show local pack results?
Take a look at this example below for “Oakland Wrongful Death Lawyer”. Notice how there is one Google Ad and one organic result. There is not a local pack for this keyword.
How to Easily Find Local Pack Keyword Opportunities
The tool within SEMRush we will be focusing on depends on which method you wish to use to find these keywords. The tool allows you to search by search feature and one of these is Local Pack. When you pull up a keyword list can select On SERP > Local Pack and it will only show search engine result pages that contain a local pack for the specific keyword.
This can be a huge time saver for anyone looking to develop a local SEO strategy.
You can see an example of this below:
Now, let’s look at how to specifically utilize this to easily find opportunities.
Easily Find Keyword Opportunites Through Competitor Research
Overall I think people get carried away with competitor research. It’s not a bad thing by any means and it can really shortcut the process. The problem I have with it is when you “assume” a specific keyword rank or tactic is driving all of the business to your competitors firm. Without their data, we don’t know what’s working and what’s not. So just be a little bit careful there.
Here is a step by step process on how you can use SEMRush to find local pack keyword opportunities from your competition.
- Start by opening SEMRush and going to domain overview. This is where you will input the domain of a single competitor and hit search.
- Scroll down the page and find the “Top Organic Keywords” heading. Here you should click “View Full Report”
- This will populate a list of the keywords the competitor’s website ranks for.
- Now this is where you will navigate to SERP FEATURES and Select ON SERP > Local Pack. This will tell SEMRush that you only want to display keywords on the search engine results that contain a local pack.
- From here you can sort the keywords by volume, position (remember that this metric can be a bit flawed as it’s pulling from one geographic location). You can also further refine this to find other opportunities.
Make Sure To Experiment
Depending on your goals there might be many other ways you can use this data to figure out keyword opportunities your competitors are missing. I hope you found this quick tutorial useful and I would love to hear how you are using this in the comments below.
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Get our most recent posts and updates sent right you your inbox!