The Best Citation Sources for Attorneys: Local SEO
Whether you’re new to online search or a seasoned veteran you probably know that one of the major ranking factors in local SEO is citations. When thinking about citation sources don’t think about the quantity you should have. Instead you should think about the quality. Making sure you’re listed on high quality sites is much more important than just being listed on a large number of websites. So to make your life a little bit easier, I put together this list of 137 citation sources that I believe will carry significant weight in helping you reach maximum online visibility.
This list is mostly made up of national citation sources. Some of these are paid listings but many of them are free. The reality is that having 100 good citations without duplicates or errors will likely be all that you ever need. So make sure to pay attention to detail! Also, if you’re not familiar with citation building this is a good place to start.
But You Still Have to Put In The Work
Honestly, I could create a citation list for attorney’s for every city in America. Someday I might do it for the top cities. The point I want to get across is that these are national directories or lawyer niche sites. If you take my list and combine your efforts of solid local citations you will put yourself in a position to dominate your competition. This list uses the domain authority metric as a guide of how you could prioritize your efforts. The higher the domain authority, the higher the value of the citation will be. Also check out the Moz article on the top local citations for your city.
My Rules for Using This List:
- Vet these sources yourself. Things change and it’s important you’re always on your A Game.
- Don’t limit yourself to these sources. This list does not include the citation sources that might be powerful in your area.
- Change your mindset. Don’t just think about the citation value. Think about Barnacle SEO and the benefits of being visible in more than one place. Do you have a backup plan if something happens to your website? Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.
- If you build a citation, build it right. Don’t create more work for someone in the future. Fill out your profiles completely and make them look sexy.
- Don’t build duplicates. Seriously. Check the website FIRST every SINGLE TIME. Search by your business name, phone number, or even the search string in Google. Site:Citationsource.com Mywebsite.com To use this successfully replace citationsource.com with the website of the citation. Also you can replace mywebsite.com with your phone number or business name. This will show if Google has an indexed listing for you on their website.
Now Lets Get To it!
Please make a copy of the spreadsheet instead of asking me to share it with you. This way you can have your own copy and do whatever you want with it. You can view my list to your inbox instantly by filling out the form below:
See the screenshot below for how to do this. This will save a copy in your Google Drive account.
Once you have your copy made you will see how easy I made it for you. I included a list with the domain name, the submit URL (Where available), the domain authority, whether they’re free or paid and notes on the costs per each listing where applicable.
You will also notice that the list starts with Moz Local. Up until recently, submitting your data to the major data aggregators was a bit of a pain and it cost too much. Now thanks to Moz Local you can get this for only $49 a year. The data aggregator websites are some of the most important places you can be listed. Many other directories pull there data from these sources. Therefore if your data is wrong here it can create a real mess.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but… Be super sure there are no duplicates before you create a new listing.
Once you’re sure you’re not creating a duplicate all you have to do is click the Submit URL link and fill out the listing as required.
Print the Citation List
The websites included on my list are listed below and sorted by Domain Authority(columns left to right) download the FREE easy to use list by simply filling out the form below:
Sites on My List
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Get our most recent posts and updates sent right you your inbox!